The area to the northwest of Old Town, which had been in the separate town of Potomac, is popularly known as Del Ray, although that name properly belongs to one of many communities (including Hume, Mount Ida, and Saint Elmo’s) in that area. The communities of Del Ray and St. Elmo’s originated in early 1894, when developer Charles Wood organized them on a grid pattern of streets running north–south and east–west. Del Ray originally contained six east–west streets and five north–south. All were identical in width, except Mt. Vernon Avenue, which was approximately twenty feet wider. St. Elmo’s, a smaller tract, was laid out in a similar pattern, but with only four east–west streets and one running north–south.
Information Deemed Reliable, but Not Guaranteed. The property information being provided is for consumers' personal, non-commercial use and may not be used for any purpose other than to identify prospective properties consumers may be interested in purchasing. The listing information provided on this website comes from various brokers who participate in the Metropolitan Regional Information Systems IDX program.